Re: Using one development instance for multiple applications

From: Shmuel Duek <shmueld_at_aviv.co.il>
Date: 5 May 1998 17:35:56 GMT

Marc van Maanen <mvmaanen_at_xs4all.nl> wrote in article <354E32F3.13E5_at_xs4all.nl>...
> Hi,
>
> we are planning to buy and install a new server for development/test
> purposes (RS/6000 F50 AIX ). The intention is to replace 4 old
> uni-processor systems with all their instances (about 20) and create
> just one instance on the new server, with all the schemas from the old
> servers in this database.
> This has (we think) a number of advantages like reduced costs of
> maintenance (one maintenance contract instead of four), easier
> administration of SQLnet, users, oracle versions etc.
>
> Given the fact that this is meant for DEVELOPMENT (not PRODUCTION) and
> application development is for the major part client/server
> (Powerbuilder, Designer/Developer 2000 )
> I have the following questions:
> - Is this advisable (and if not: howcome ?)

it is advisable , however you should consider the fact that you will have a single point off failour ( if the system will crash - 4 projects will stand still ) and a runaway process off one of your developers can influance the overall performance .

> - Does anybody has experience with this

we have done the same thing ... so far, so good

> - What are pitfalls and/or prerequisites to keep in mind

a strong server

> Any suggestions or comments are highly appreciated,
>
> Marc

Shmuel Duek
Infrastructure
D.b.a. & Sysadmin