Re: IRIX -n32 linking Oracle 7 libs

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/04/30

In article <iogxk9h25.fsf_at_axon.cygnus.com>, Michael Tiemann <tiemann_at_axon.cygnus.com> wrote:
>"Brent L. Bates" <blbates_at_vigyan.com> writes:
>

>> The word from Oracle `support' is that they doubt there will be -n32
>> support. SGI support in general is not high on Oracle's priority list of
>> supported platforms. Actually, I was told it was VERY low on the list. Who
>> are the two top platforms you might ask? NT & Sun.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brent L. Bates (UNIX Sys. Admin.) Phone:(757) 865-1400
>> M.S. 912 FAX:(757) 865-8177
>> NASA Langley Research Center
>> Hampton, Virginia 23681-0001
>> Email: B.L.BATES@larc.nasa.gov http://www.vigyan.com/~blbates/
>>

>ARRGH! Another case of Unix marketplace stupidity! Seems to me like
>Oracle's playing a game of high-tech chicken: he dares you to buy Sun,
>and if you don't like them, your only alternative is Microsoft. At that
>point, why buy Oracle when you can buy a 100% Microsoft solution?
>
>If Oracle supported the other Unix vendors better, (SGI and HP in
>particular), there would be that many more alternatives to Microsoft.
>
>Sigh. I guess it's time to sell my Oracle shares....

Having gone from Sun to HP (and others) and back, the support doesn't seem all that different to me. Either you get someone who knows how to figure the problem out or you don't. I've seen plenty of HP installations, it's very popular in some vertical markets. Don't know about SGI though.

If all you mean to say is that the software seems to be ported better to suns and NT, I can't say I agree with that. There are stupid-ass problems on all platforms. "Raise ulimit..." sheesh.

These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry
"See your DBA?"  I AM the @#%*& DBA!