Re: IRIX -n32 linking Oracle 7 libs

From: Michael Tiemann <tiemann_at_axon.cygnus.com>
Date: 1998/04/29

"Brent L. Bates" <blbates_at_vigyan.com> writes:

> The word from Oracle `support' is that they doubt there will be -n32
> support. SGI support in general is not high on Oracle's priority list of
> supported platforms. Actually, I was told it was VERY low on the list. Who
> are the two top platforms you might ask? NT & Sun.
>
> --
>
> Brent L. Bates (UNIX Sys. Admin.) Phone:(757) 865-1400
> M.S. 912 FAX:(757) 865-8177
> NASA Langley Research Center
> Hampton, Virginia 23681-0001
> Email: B.L.BATES@larc.nasa.gov http://www.vigyan.com/~blbates/

ARRGH! Another case of Unix marketplace stupidity! Seems to me like Oracle's playing a game of high-tech chicken: he dares you to buy Sun, and if you don't like them, your only alternative is Microsoft. At that point, why buy Oracle when you can buy a 100% Microsoft solution?

If Oracle supported the other Unix vendors better, (SGI and HP in particular), there would be that many more alternatives to Microsoft.

Sigh. I guess it's time to sell my Oracle shares....

M Received on Wed Apr 29 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT