WRB ICX Question

From: Guy Faler <faler_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1998/04/15

Greetings,

I'm developing a web cartridge for the Oracle Web Application Server
(OWAS) 3.0 and I have a question about the Web Request Broker (WRB) API
provided for C language development.

I've been tasked with writing a cartridge to act as middleware between two processes communicating via http. The WRB API seems well-suited for implementing typical http server processes. I'm having a problem, however, implementing the client portion of my middleware.

In the WRB API, there is no way to send an outgoing http message. To do this, one must use the Inter-Cartridge Exchange (ICX) mechanism. ICX is adequate provided the outgoing message consists only of "name-value pairs" (i.e. an association list). From what I can tell, the only way to set the content of an outgoing http message is to use the WRBICX_setContent () API function which only takes "name-value pairs"
(i.e. a parameter block). Unfortunately, the application I'm sending to
was not designed to accept "name-value pairs."

Does ICX really impose this limitation or am I missing something? If so, is there a workaround? Was ICX really designed only for inter-cartridge communication as the name implies, or can it also be used for general-purpose http communication?

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Guy Received on Wed Apr 15 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT