database crash due to lack of rollback

From: Michel Gauthier <qgmi1_at_qbc.clic.net>
Date: 15 Apr 1998 13:23:11 GMT

I use Oracle 7.2.3 on HP MPE/iX. Yesterday I had a database crash and accroding to the alert file, it seems to be related to a lack of space in a rollback segment. In it, I found dozens of ORA-1650 messages and then nothing! The database shutdown itself without any advice (nice way to express a database crash).

I don't have many years of experience with Oracle. I understood that rollback segments are important during a transaction. But I didn't know it could shut the background processes!

Anybody experienced something similar?
--
Michel Gauthier
qgmi1_at_qbc.clic.net