Re: database crash due to lack of rollback

From: Andy Chan <andychan_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 21:19:50 +0800

Michel Gauthier wrote:

> I use Oracle 7.2.3 on HP MPE/iX. Yesterday I had a database crash and
> accroding to the alert file, it seems to be related to a lack of space
> in a
> rollback segment. In it, I found dozens of ORA-1650 messages and then
> nothing! The database shutdown itself without any advice (nice way to
> express a database crash).

Strange. Running out of rollback segment space should result it just transactions rollback and the error "Fail to allocate extent ....". The database integrity is not affected in this case and should therefore no reason to die out.

There are only a very limited cases where the database "disapperared" without signalling the alert file. A typical case is the removal of the share memory segment (SGA).

Any other trace dumps in BACKGROUND_DUMP_DEST ? Received on Fri Apr 17 1998 - 08:19:50 CDT