Re: Oracle on PC

From: Doug Carter <dcarter_at_tui.com.au>
Date: 1998/04/03

Howard,

> Is there anyone who is running Oracle on a PC server handling very large
> databases (> 1GB)? If so are you satisfied with the performance? At the
> moment the consensus is to use a SUN server. I am not convinced we need
> all that firepower.

IMHO I’ve worked with Oracle Databases on many hardware platforms, including Sun, IBM, Fujitsu, ICL, Unisys, Clones and PC’s. I have found that the PC based systems are noticeably slower than the equivalent RISC. As I understand it the
major cause is the design and structure of the I/O system.

I would recommend using a cheaper PC based system only if the data access is light or cost is the major decision factor. Whatever you do, do not undersize the
system. I would concentrate more on the I/O area and amount of memory than the speed and number of CPU’s - as this is where you will find most of your speed.

Hope this helps.

Doug Carter [dcarter_at_tui.com.au]
Database Administrator
TUI Consulting