Re: 24x7 database

From: Bill Hayden <dba0064_at_edwardjones.com>
Date: 1998/03/24

Research doing hot backups. Insist on a test machine for you to practice backup and recovery procedures. Read everything you can and try any situations that you can think of.

When looking for books, look at the Oracle press stuff, they tend to be pretty good.

We run 24X7 with very little down time, mostly scheduled for software upgrades OS maintenance.

tammy.adler_at_ipaper.com wrote:

> I am interested in hearing from dba's in a 24x7 environment, large
> database.
> Currently we have a 12 hour maintenance window each weekend. They
> are going
> to shorten this to a 4 hour window 3 weekends of the month, with no
> outage on
> the month-end. By fall, it is requested to be true 24x7, with
> scheduled
> outages every 6 months.
>
> This is a SAP application...the database is 150GB and growing
> rapidly...will
> probably double by year's end. The box is the IBM Raven, with AIX
> 4.3.
>
> How much housekeeping should I do in advance? What else should we
> do in
> preparation. Can a system be truly 24x7 without any scheduled
> down-time?
> What problems can we expect?

Bill Hayden
Edward Jones
201 Progress Pkwy
Maryland Heights, MO 63043-3042
314-515-7214 FAX:314-515-2599
(bill.hayden_at_edwardjones.com) Received on Tue Mar 24 1998 - 00:00:00 CST