24x7 database

From: <tammy.adler_at_ipaper.com>
Date: 1998/03/16

I am interested in hearing from dba's in a 24x7 environment, large database. Currently we have a 12 hour maintenance window each weekend. They are going to shorten this to a 4 hour window 3 weekends of the month, with no outage on the month-end. By fall, it is requested to be true 24x7, with scheduled outages every 6 months.

This is a SAP application...the database is 150GB and growing rapidly...will probably double by year's end. The box is the IBM Raven, with AIX 4.3.

How much housekeeping should I do in advance? What else should we do in preparation. Can a system be truly 24x7 without any scheduled down-time? What problems can we expect?

E-mail or post your replies.