Re: Vote NO: Comp.databases.oracle.server.java

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1998/03/22

Mr. Fardoost,

Welcome to the comp.databases.oracle.server newsgroup! Except for your RFD, you haven't posted anything in the group up to this point. Usually when someone wants to create a new subgroup, it is one who has participated to some extent in the group.

And usually before a new group is officially proposed, one tries to get a feel from the usenet participants as to the need for the new group as well as what people would be most comfortable with for a name.

If you had been participating, posting a few answers to Oracle/Java questions occasionally, then I would not have been so suspicious or wary of your proposal. I get the feeling that you are trying to get the new group created just to prove to someone somewhere how important Java is on an Oracle server. However, it should be the other way around: When enough people are using Java on the server, then a new newsgroup will be quite appropriate. At this point in time, there just aren't that many Oracle/Java questions being posted.

While you say that you have participated in the distant past, it is unfortunate that you and other Oracle people do not regularly contribute to the newsgroups. WHERE IS EVERYONE? There is only one individual from Oracle who regularly posts, and his participation is extremely valuable and highly appreciated. I get the feeling that Oracle has some sort of policy prohibiting participation by its employees. I have learned a number of techniques by reading these newsgroups, and Oracle's product could only benefit, becoming an ever-stronger product, if people like you would contribute, helping customers like me become more familiar with the software.

As for the name, cdo.server.java, your statement above about server-side Java being 50 to 80 percent of the subject is reason enough to drop "server" from the name. Using your estimates, you excluded 20 to 50 percent of the Java discussion. The group should be named cdo.java, and if the discussion gets heavy enough, it could be split at a later time. "Comp.databases.oracle.server.java" just doesn't have a good "ring" to it.

Steve Cosner
(posted and emailed)

In article <351428CE.521ABF64_at_us.oracle.com>, Moe fardoost <mfardoos_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
> Phil,
>
> First I apologize for cross posting. A couple of negative responses
> did go out to these newsgroups and I feel strongly that everyone
> interested in database development and Java should read this and
> take the appropriate action (vote Yes!) to help us create this news
> group.
>
> Thanks for pointing out the exact reasons why this newsgroup is
> needed. We had the same in mind when we wrote the proposal. The
> positioning of 'server' is vital. Discussions we propose to direct
> here are server side java where somewhere between 50 to 80 percent
> of java applications will need to address. You gave other statistics
> that prove the same. People who fail to recognize the importance of
> server side Java are unfortunately still stuck in the old frame of
> mind that Java is only for client side development.

> I noticed another posting (...csufresno.edu) takes a very offensive
> position with the proponents which I find very inappropriate. We are
> proposing a logical partitioning of comp.databases.oracle.server.
> One can use all kinds of tools to derive at what one wants but the
> real old timers recall my name. I have been a proponent of the web
> and newsgroups right from the start. It actually goes back to the
> CompuServer days! I strongly believe this newsgroup is needed. I
> have stated the reasons in the proposal (in complete agreement with
> your points). If anyone can point out a good reason why it should be
> placed somewhere else, I have no problem in resubmitting the
> proposal.
>
> Moe Fardoost
>---
>
>Phil Bradley wrote:

<snip> Received on Sun Mar 22 1998 - 00:00:00 CST