Re: Vote NO: Comp.databases.oracle.server.java

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/03/23

In article <351428CE.521ABF64_at_us.oracle.com>, Moe fardoost <mfardoos_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
>Phil,
>
>First I apologize for cross posting. A couple of negative responses did go out to
>these newsgroups and I feel strongly that everyone interested in database development
>and Java should read this and take the appropriate action (vote Yes!) to help us
>create this news group.
>
>Thanks for pointing out the exact reasons why this newsgroup is needed. We had the
>same in mind when we wrote the proposal. The positioning of 'server' is vital.
>Discussions we propose to direct here are server side java where somewhere between 50
>to 80 percent of java applications will need to address. You gave other statistics
>that prove the same. People who fail to recognize the importance of server side Java
>are unfortunately still stuck in the old frame of mind that Java is only for client
>side development.

Then shouldn't it be comp.java.server.[oracle,sybase,rdb,ingres, postgres,db2,development,talk...]

Why should it even be under databases? Why should it be under Oracle?

>I noticed another posting (...csufresno.edu) takes a very offensive position with the
>proponents which I find very inappropriate. We are proposing a logical partitioning of
>comp.databases.oracle.server. One can use all kinds of tools to derive at what one
>wants but the real old timers recall my name. I have been a proponent of the web and

>newsgroups right from the start. It actually goes back to the CompuServer days! I
>strongly believe this newsgroup is needed. I have stated the reasons in the proposal
>(in complete agreement with your points). If anyone can point out a good reason why it
>should be placed somewhere else, I have no problem in resubmitting the proposal.

Don't you have to wait six months?

jg [GO ORACLE contributor of the month, April '93 or something, cdo for much of this decade - and still have people going "Who?"]

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com