Re: Vote NO: Comp.databases.oracle.server.java

From: Moe fardoost <mfardoos_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/03/21

Phil,

First I apologize for cross posting. A couple of negative responses did go out to these newsgroups and I feel strongly that everyone interested in database development and Java should read this and take the appropriate action (vote Yes!) to help us create this news group.

Thanks for pointing out the exact reasons why this newsgroup is needed. We had the same in mind when we wrote the proposal. The positioning of 'server' is vital. Discussions we propose to direct here are server side java where somewhere between 50 to 80 percent of java applications will need to address. You gave other statistics that prove the same. People who fail to recognize the importance of server side Java are unfortunately still stuck in the old frame of mind that Java is only for client side development.

I noticed another posting (...csufresno.edu) takes a very offensive position with the proponents which I find very inappropriate. We are proposing a logical partitioning of comp.databases.oracle.server. One can use all kinds of tools to derive at what one wants but the real old timers recall my name. I have been a proponent of the web and newsgroups right from the start. It actually goes back to the CompuServer days! I strongly believe this newsgroup is needed. I have stated the reasons in the proposal (in complete agreement with your points). If anyone can point out a good reason why it should be placed somewhere else, I have no problem in resubmitting the proposal.

Moe Fardoost

---