Re: Oracle for Unix versus Windows-NT

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_p3.net>
Date: 1998/02/25

Hi,

Oracle offers the same functionality on NT as it does on UNIX. You should buy a package such as MKS toolkit in order to allow the use of scripts, UNIX utilities, and the command line. (I know that the diehard NT fans will flame me on this, but there are times when you really need the command line.) My reason for picking MKS toolkit is that the hardware manufacturers use it when they run the TPC benchmarks and if it is good enough for DEC and Compaq it is good enough for me.

You can never have too much hardware. I prefer running Oracle on a four processor NT with at least 512MB of RAM, hardware RAID with mirroring, and a HIGH SPEED backup of some type.

Yes, if you are planning on Intel processors the cost of running Oracle on SCO should be about the same as running on NT and if you are planning on using DEC Alphas again the cost of running on NT is about the same as running on DEC Unix.

If you follow the newsgroups closely you will see that many NT users have had stability problems and that many have not. I do not know if this is a matter of perception or of reality. In my own case I was in an installation that had NT reliability problems which I know think were caused by other factors (an inadequately trained network management team). In spite of the claims some people make about the relative simplicity of NT as compared to Unix I personally find the NT environment to be more difficult to work with due to the lack of information and the poorer quality of the support staff in most facilities. If you have good people you won't have problems (well you will, but they will be able to fix them quickly).

To summarize, there is no difference in data base functionality, given knowledgeable personnel NT can be a stable platform, and there is little or no cost difference between running Oracle on NT vs. Unix on the same hardware.

Regards

Jerry