star_transformation_enabled in oracle 8

From: <greg_farrar_at_sbpt.com>
Date: 1998/02/16

I have been trying for several days to get Oracle 8 to produce a star transformation query plan for my star schema. I have had no luck in sighting the elusive beast. I have a fact table with 9 million rows each row about 200 bytes. I have several dimension tables with on the order of 60,000 records.

The fact table is partitioned by month into 48 buckets for 4 years of data. Following the documentation I have created bitmap locally partioned indexes for each foreign key of the dimension tables. I have done an analyze table partition against each of the partitions. The init option star_transformation_enabled is set to true. Thus far try as I may the optimizer will not do the star transformation.

Anyone have advice on this particular Oracle 8 option ?

Regards,

Greg