Re: Oracle 8.0.3 - solid enough for a *production* datawarehouse?

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_travelin.com>
Date: 1998/02/15

Steve:

We are migrating to Oracle8.04 as well, so I don't know any "in practice" facts yet. Theoretically, Oracle8 can be tuned/configured to handle those very large tables much better. Check out the following:

  1. Partitioned tables
  2. Partitioned indexes

Again theoretically, Oracle8's optimizer is *smart* enough to do partition elimination. In other words, it should be smart enough to determine that only a single partition of a table or index (say, 1 million rows) needs to be scanned rather than the whole 100 millions rows.

Hope this helps,
Dave

<887272590.11294.0.nnrp-04.c2de712e_at_news.demon.co.uk>...