Re: ORACLE ConText Server

From: Garrett Kaminaga <gkaminag__at__us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/02/12

leahp_at_ccohs.ca wrote:

> Hi, we are in the process of purchasing Oracle 8 DBMS with ConText
> Cartrodge. I have some questions:
>
> I have to create database(s) that have one table with pointers to
> different documents, WP7, Word, PDF, HTML, and ASCII.
>
> Will ConText be able to index(search) all these documents? How difficult
> it is to implement this type of architecture?

There are several aspects to this question.

  1. can context work on documents stored outside of the database? yes. You use the OSFILE type datastore. The column in the table has the file name. ConText will handle accessing the file for you at indexing time
  2. can context work on multiple formats in one table? yes, using the AUTOREC filter. This filter will auto-recognize the format and simply "do the right thing" for each format.
  3. can context filter WP7, Word, PDF, HTML, and ASCII? I am not sure about WP7, but the rest we support (although not the Office 97 version of Word -- yet)
Garrett Kaminaga                          Oracle ConText Server Group
Note: remove underscores to get real email address
Standard disclaimers apply -- all posts are personal opinion and do
not nec. reflect those of Oracle Corporation, etc. etc.