Parallel Server Questions

From: <eklerr_at_swcp.com>
Date: 1998/02/12

Dear Abby

I've got a database on a Solaris 2.4 Sparc20 that's getting to look like it's cpu bound. I've got this brilliant idea that I can take a couple of Sparc 5's, remote mount the data disks, load up the server software, start up some separate instances on separate cpu's, and start calling myself the parallel database man. (or at least clustered database man) Problem is ... I can't get parallel server to install (from 7.3.3) The installer alludes something to the effect that it doesn't like the hardware that it's detecting. Of course I used that page of the hardware requirements manual to soak up some spilled coffee or something some time ago, and of course my Oracle support... well you know how it is.
Anyway, any of you guys got anything like clustering of Sparcs? I mean it
seems like it should work, and it seems like OPS should cover Sparcs. The installation manuals for Sun and Solaris describe it, I mean that kind of implies that OPS exists for Sparc.

Anyway, any advise or suggestion or guidance would be appreciated.

Signed

Parallel Database Wannabe Received on Thu Feb 12 1998 - 00:00:00 CST