Re: Parallel Server Questions

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_phonet.com>
Date: 1998/02/14

In article <34E3C2EE.7546_at_swcp.com>, eklerr_at_swcp.com wrote:
>Dear Abby
>
>I've got a database on a Solaris 2.4 Sparc20 that's getting to
>look like it's cpu bound. I've got this brilliant idea that I
>can take a couple of Sparc 5's, remote mount the data disks,
>load up the server software, start up some separate instances
>on separate cpu's, and start calling myself the parallel
>database man. (or at least clustered database man)
>Problem is ... I can't get parallel server to install (from 7.3.3)
>The installer alludes something to the effect that it doesn't like
>the hardware that it's detecting. Of course I used that page of the
>hardware requirements manual to soak up some spilled coffee or something
>some time ago, and of course my Oracle support... well you know how it
>is.
>Anyway, any of you guys got anything like clustering of Sparcs? I mean
>it
>seems like it should work, and it seems like OPS should cover Sparcs.
>The installation manuals for Sun and Solaris describe it, I mean that
>kind of implies that OPS exists for Sparc.
>
>Anyway, any advise or suggestion or guidance would be appreciated.
>
>Signed
>
>Parallel Database Wannabe

I have an OLTP OPS database installed on Sun's PDB (Parallel DataDase) architectue using two E5000s for the nodes and mirrored 100 GB disk arrays.

If the only real problem you are having is being CPU bound with a Sparc 20, I would strongly suggest just getting a bigger machine. SMP is trivial and fast. OPS is an absolute bitch. If your application doesn't port well to parallel, your performance could easily be *much worse* than in exclusive Oracle. You need to do some very serious research and analysis before going parallel! One basic question for OPS is "What is the partitioning scheme for your data and/or processes". If you can't answer this and aren't running a largely read-only database (eg. DSS or DW), don't go parallel. Parallel sounds cool, but going there without exhaustive planning will make your life HELL! At an absolute minimum, read and understand the Parallel Server Concepts and Administration manual. Also find and read the "appropriate" white papers. One of the most critical is named something like "Application Partitioning for Oracle Parallel Server" (sorry, I am at home and it is at work so I don't have the exact title handy).

Also, licensing the Parallel option isn't cheap!

I doubt that you really want to do this with a Sparc20 and Sparc5s! OPS and the DLM add a LOT of overhead. All the OPS installations I know of are on relatively high-end hardware - PDB E5000s, SP2s, etc.

OraSaurus

PS: Re: Your original question... Have you installed and configured the

       distributed lock manager?  It isn't done via orainst!  Also, what is
       the inter-instance high speed communication channel?
       You will need one!  Does remote mounting the disks (NFS?)
       work?  I've never tried it, but it would seem to negate the high
       availability advantages of OPS.  Are you aware that OPS absolutely
       requires that all database files be raw devices?   That includes
       the online redo logs (one thread for each instance) and control files..