Re: decrease tablespace size

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: 1998/01/23

Ulrich Waldt <KZVN_at_compuserve.com> wrote:

>Hello everybody,
>
>I need a little help with my tablspaces.
>
>What are the steps to decrease the amount of space for a tablespace?
>There are still data in the tablespace.
>First I thought about an Export, but there is no way to export a
>tablespace.
>We are running Oracle 7.1.6.2 on a unixsystem.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>

>Ulrich Waldt

Export/Import is the way to handle this.... Export all contents of the tablespace ( include indexes,grants,data,etc) or do a full export of the entire database if no one needs to access any other tablespaces .

Drop all objects in the tablespace you want to modify. Drop the tablespace.
Re-Create a tablespace with the same name but the new size. Import - if you did a full export use the ignore errors parameter -

if the tabespace is the same name, no other modifications are needed.

( Note : export twice to separate physical drives just in case of problems )

Hope it Helps,
John Greco
Oracle DBA Received on Fri Jan 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CST