Re: decrease tablespace size

From: Lothar Armbruester <lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de>
Date: 1998/01/20

On 20-Jan-98 15:49:02 Ulrich Waldt wrote:

>Hello everybody,

Hi!

>I need a little help with my tablspaces.

>What are the steps to decrease the amount of space for a tablespace?
>There are still data in the tablespace.
>First I thought about an Export, but there is no way to export a
>tablespace.
>We are running Oracle 7.1.6.2 on a unixsystem.

>Thanks for any help.

One possible solution could be to do something like

spool some_file
select table_name from all_tables
where tablespace_name='YOUR_TABLESPACE'; spool off

The resulting file could be copied into the TABLES clause of an export controlfile.
As I'm writing this at home, I don't have a possibility to check, but perhaps there are other things in your tablespace than tables. You should check all_segments and all_objects for things in your tablespace which also need to be exported.
Indexes will be recreated by import.

I think with some string magic, you could create the whole export control file with SQL*Plus. THe script that does this can be used for many tablespace related exports.

Another option is to migrate to Oracle 7.3 which is able to resize datafiles. ;-)

>Ulrich Waldt

Hope that helps,
Lothar

--
Lothar Armbrüster       | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de
Schulstr. 12            | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de