Re: decrease tablespace size

From: Pavel Polcar <pavel.polcar_at_berit.cz>
Date: 1998/01/20

I think that with you version of Oracle there is little to be done except export/import (I am working with Oracle 7.3, so I don't remember exactly). Just identify the users who have objects in the tablespace, make an export per user basis, recreate the tablespace and import the users again. It is also a good opportunity to reorganize the user<->tablespace relationships if you want to.

In higher versions, there are commands like ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE ' .....' SIZE 50M with which you can decrease the size of an existing data file. But even then, you cannot get under the high water mark for the tablespace, so the reorganization using export/import is the best alternative. It also has other benefits, like decreasing the number of extents in tables, etc.

Hope this helps a little

Pavel

Ulrich Waldt <KZVN_at_compuserve.com> wrote in article <34C4B95D.F340A984_at_compuserve.com>...