Re: Has anyone developed applications with DB's over 100GB?

From: THUNDERSTONE <bart_at_thunderstone.com.removethis>
Date: 1998/01/18

Eric Margheim wrote:

> We are about to start development of an application that will potentially
> have a database size of over 100GB. We are trying to decide what platform,
> O/S, and database to use.
>
> If anyone has experience in development with a database of this size, I'd be
> interested in hearing you opinions on what has worked and not worked for
> you.
>
> Thanks
>
> Eric Margheim
> ericm_at_socket.net

The RDBMS you choose depends very much on the type of data you are holding and
the nature of the transactions being performed against it. From an OS perspective,
you would probably want to consider one of the 64 bit OS's like DEC or SGI UNIX.
Its just easier to bang around big data on an OS that understands numbers bigger
than 4 billion.

For example, its really easy to make a 100 gig photo or document database because
the primary search keys are not the big consumer of space. If on the other hand
you have 100 gig's of 80 byte records, you're going to have to do a lot more
analysis to make it work.

We've done databases in the size range you describe with our Texis RDBMS, but the
key issues were more related to the scope of the queries and how long they would
take. The disk managment and backup problems are a big pain at this size too.

Bart Richards
Thunderstone Received on Sun Jan 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CST