Re: Problem upgrading to Oracle 7.2.3 on HP

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: 1998/01/05

On 4 Jan 1998 21:40:55 GMT, "Mark A. Bryan" <mabryan_at_cyberramp.net> wrote:

>If anyone can give me a solution for this problem, I would greatly
>appreciate it!
>
>The client I work for has a working database running under version 7.2.2 on
>HP-UX 9.0. They want to go to HP-UX 10.20, but cannot until Oracle is
>upgraded to 7.2.3. I have installed version 7.2.3 (successfully, I think).
> I am able to use SQL*Plus and SQL*DBA to connect to the database using
>either version 7.2.2 or 7.2.3. However, at 7.2.3, none of my PC clients
>can connect to the database via SQL*Net. I noticed there was no
>"tnsnames.ora" file in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, so I copied the one from
>7.2.2 and restarted "tnslsnr". Nothing. Next, I saw that "tcpctl" and
>"tcputl" were also missing from $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, so I tried to
>reinstall TCP. They still didn't show up, so I copied them from 7.2.2,
>also. When I ran "tcpctl start", it said it could not find "orasrv". So,
>as "root", I copied "orasrv" from 7.2.2's "bin" directory. Now "tcpctl
>start" started up just fine. Still, no PC clients can connect to the
>database.

  1. For SQL*Net v.2 listener (tnslsnr) you should have "listener.ora" in your $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin - is it properly configured? "tnsnames.ora" and "sqlnet.ora" are client configuration files, they have to be present on your server only when the server is also acting as a client (for example, for DB links). Note that all those files are user-dependable and configurable, so at most the instalation could supply you with *samples* of this files.
  2. "tcpctl" and "tcputl" are executables, so they are supposed to be in $ORACLE_HOME/bin, not in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin ! Same goes for "orasrv". They are all SQL*Net ver.1 files.
  3. What version of SQL*Net do you have instaled on your clients?

If it is ver.1, is the connect string correct (t:host:SID)? Is your listener ver.1 started, does it listen for correct SIDs (try "tcpctl status")? Check the orasrv log file.

If it's ver.2, do they have properly configured tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files? Even if they have, they still won't be able to connect until your listener isn't started with properly configured tns listener (try "lsnrctl status"). Check the listener log file.

>First, I am concerned that I had to copy so many files from a previous
>version of Oracle, and that they did not get created by the install. Is it
>possible that I missed something in the install?
>
>Second, why can't my PC clients connect to the 7.2.3 database? I can
>"tnsping" the 7.2.3 instance from other HP machines, but DB Links don't
>work from databases on those machines. (Actually, "tnsping" was acting
>kind of flaky; first it found the 7.2.3 instance, then it didn't).
>
>Again, any help would be appreciated. I can make a few more educated
>guesses, but nothing that feels like it will work.
>
>Thanx,
>
>Mark A. Bryan
>DBA Master
>(but not Installation Master)

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si		Ministry of Finance
The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Mon Jan 05 1998 - 00:00:00 CST