Problem upgrading to Oracle 7.2.3 on HP

From: Mark A. Bryan <mabryan_at_cyberramp.net>
Date: 1998/01/04

If anyone can give me a solution for this problem, I would greatly appreciate it!

The client I work for has a working database running under version 7.2.2 on HP-UX 9.0. They want to go to HP-UX 10.20, but cannot until Oracle is upgraded to 7.2.3. I have installed version 7.2.3 (successfully, I think).  I am able to use SQL*Plus and SQL*DBA to connect to the database using either version 7.2.2 or 7.2.3. However, at 7.2.3, none of my PC clients can connect to the database via SQL*Net. I noticed there was no
"tnsnames.ora" file in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, so I copied the one from
7.2.2 and restarted "tnslsnr". Nothing. Next, I saw that "tcpctl" and
"tcputl" were also missing from $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, so I tried to
reinstall TCP. They still didn't show up, so I copied them from 7.2.2, also. When I ran "tcpctl start", it said it could not find "orasrv". So, as "root", I copied "orasrv" from 7.2.2's "bin" directory. Now "tcpctl start" started up just fine. Still, no PC clients can connect to the database.

First, I am concerned that I had to copy so many files from a previous version of Oracle, and that they did not get created by the install. Is it possible that I missed something in the install?

Second, why can't my PC clients connect to the 7.2.3 database? I can
"tnsping" the 7.2.3 instance from other HP machines, but DB Links don't
work from databases on those machines. (Actually, "tnsping" was acting kind of flaky; first it found the 7.2.3 instance, then it didn't).

Again, any help would be appreciated. I can make a few more educated guesses, but nothing that feels like it will work.

Thanx,

Mark A. Bryan
DBA Master
(but not Installation Master) Received on Sun Jan 04 1998 - 00:00:00 CST