Re: Help: oracle space problem. Error code:ORA-01652

From: <streak_at_iag.net>
Date: 1998/01/02

Is the tablespace your temporary tablespace? If not, then you may need to designate a temporary tablespace for the user... you don't want your temp sorting being done in a tablespace other than your temporary tablespace.

Assuming that the tablespace in the error is the temporary tablespace you may very well need to add additional space to the tablespace. However, there are some additional things you may also want to do.

SELECT INITIAL_EXTENT, NEXT_EXTENT, PCT_INCREASE FROM DBA_TABLESPACES WHERE TABLESPACE_NAME = 'tablespace_name';

PCTINCREASE for your temp tablespace should be set to 0; if it is 50(the default) each additional extent that is allocated is 50% larger than the last. As each extent becomes larger in size, Oracle must be able to find contiguous free space to satisfy the extent allocation. In addition, this leads to fragmentation.

Your INITIAL_EXTENT and NEXT_EXTENT should also be the same size.

You should also check the value of the SORT_AREA_SIZE (in the INIT.ORA). It defaults to 64k which is too small. Increasing this parameter will assist in the demands that you place on the temp tablespace. I can't really tell you what you should set this at, because it is contingent upon the environment in which you are operating and the number of concurrent users.

The INTIAL_EXTENT and NEXT_EXTENT size should be greater than your SORT_AREA_SIZE. I have read that the extent size should be 1.5 to 2.5 the size of the SORT_AREA_SIZE.

Hope that helps,
Shawn