Re: Oracle Names on HP-UX

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 1997/12/10

Don Brown (don_brown_at_rl.gov) wrote:
: I am having trouble getting the name server to start
: on our HP-UX computer. Every time I try to start it

What would they have called that OS if the company was called Packard-  ? :)

: it reports that there are serious errors in the
: configuration files.

Hmm, I'm really just detailing my experiences with nameserver for which I see no reports of errors, so bear this in mind when reading the below as our problems could be different.

: The names database resides on a Solaris computer and

Good choice, unless it's like our Sol 2.5.1/7.3.2 nameserver that dies every so often and thanks to a buglette or two in the SQL*Net software doesn't relinquish control to the subsequent nameservers - this means that anything trying to resolve a service name freezes for a substantial period of time :(

We are told that this is a known bug on AIX and (now) Solaris platforms

The Oracle TAR has gone into that "it's still in bug status" black hole, so we are looking at alternate solutions. The 8.0.3 nameserver just coredumps on us under Sol SPARC 2.6 - anyone using this ?

: I thought perhaps I didn't know how to set up a second
: names server, but I then found another Sun to create a
: names server on and it came up without any problems.

You know, what I'm beginning to think that this nameserver bizzo aint all that it's cracked up to be :)

: Any help would be appreciated,

Ditto

IAP

--
I am using anti-spam measures, please replace 'not.valid' with 'value.net'