Re: "Long" Datatypes in Oracle 8

From: Ian Cary <cary_at_gatwick.geco-prakla.slb.com>
Date: 1997/11/19

Steve Haynes wrote:

> VARCHAR2 increases from 2000 to 4000 though.
> I believe there is support for several (16?) long columns in a
> table now.
> Steve

The maximum number of long columns in a table stays at 1 in version 8 although multiple BLOB and CLOB columns are allowed.

As a general aside;
I personally could never actually understand why people wanted more than one long column in a table as the best design method for long data was always to create a separate table containing only the long column with a one-to-one relationship back to the real one. This method was far more efficient as meant the long data need only be accessed when required and not for every read of the table. As this was the accepted method for one long column, surely another n long columns could be satisfied by another n one-to-one tables.
I think the requirement for more than one long mainly stemmed from ms-access ports, but I am pleased that this access oddity is not allowed in Oracle.

Regards,

Ian Received on Wed Nov 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CST