Re: "Long" Datatypes in Oracle 8

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/11/20

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997 23:09:11 +0000, Steve Haynes <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <34708DF6.563173FE_at_visi.net>, "Matt M. Aulbaugh"
><lonewolf_at_visi.net> writes
>>Is it true that the "Long" Datatypes will be done away with in Oracle 8
>>and that VARCHAR2 would have to be used in it's place?
>>
>No.
>VARCHAR2 increases from 2000 to 4000 though.
>I believe there is support for several (16?) long columns in a
>table now.
>Steve
>"The floggings will continue until morale improves."

there is only 1 long / table in oracle8 however....

The datatype clob (infinitely more flexible then long, sort of a superset of long capabilities) can be used in a table more then once.

In oracle8, you can have upto 1,000 clob columns, each upto 4gig in size per table.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Thu Nov 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST