Re: export/import question

From: Matthew Reagan <mreagan_at_fast.net>
Date: 1997/10/31

Amit,

I am grappling with the same problem. We have data that is no longer actively used, but may be accessed up to 15 years from now. Export is not an acceptable archiving tool. We are building a utility that will reverse engineer the create statements for a table, its indexes, constraints, storage, etc. and store them in ASCII. It will also extract the contents of the table, placing it in ASCII with the first record describing the column order. The tool we are building will be in SQR, but, if we need to use another product to reload the data in 15 years, we have it stored in the most elemental fashion. Hell, we could even load the data into Excel (assuming Microsoft is still around and Excel version 29 can read delimited records) if the SQL statements are no longer relevant to the database technology of the day.

This is space intensive, but CDs have a long shelf life, and can hold quite a bit for very little money.

Anyone else got any realistic approaches?

Matt...

Amit Aggarwal <amaggarwal_at_kendle.com> wrote in article <3458F16D.147C_at_kendle.com>...