export/import question

From: Amit Aggarwal <amaggarwal_at_kendle.com>
Date: 1997/10/30

Hi:

I have a question about export/import in Oracle.

Currently we have Oracle 7.1.3. database running on Dec. Alpha running Digital Unix 3.0. We have many schemas in the database and we keep archiving them as those studies/schemas are completed. Normally we do not need the schema again but sometimes we may. I am sure an export of 7.1.3 could be imported into 7.3, but we would like to archive for more than 5 years. Now my quesion is that - If I create an export file of a 7.1.3 database/schema, can I use that export file to import it into an Oracle 8 database, with no problem. I am visualing that 5 years down the road, we would be on Oracle 8 and will have no access to 7.1.3. The data is extremely critical and we cannot aford to lose it.

thanks for the replies.

amit Received on Thu Oct 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CST