Re: Oracle on Linux - a recipe

From: Victor Wagner <vitus_at_party.fe.msk.ru>
Date: 1997/10/28

Jan Andersen (root_at_127.0.0.1) wrote:
: Installing Oracle 7.3.3 on Linux 2.0.29

: As I stated above, this is just a crude cook book description. It doesn't
: tell you how to use Oracle when it's installed - maybe I, or someone else
: will include this later. Oracle's own documentation is quite huge, to say

But its is critical - why would I sacrifice so much memory and disk space to Oracle just to run sqlplus shell? Does anybody now, is it possible to compile something using OCI libraries under linux. (I can tolerate having second copy of all my favorite scripting languange interpreters, compilied in COFF or whatever format, if they would interface oracle, although I prefer this interfaces to be loadable package for my current interpreters)

But if I couldn't write and debug scripts to use Oracle on Tcl or Perl, not mention more serious C programs, it would probably be simplier to write layer over some other SQL server (postgres, mysql etc) which would exactly simulate Oratcl or Oraperl. Received on Tue Oct 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CST