Re: Oracle on Linux - a recipe

From: Jan Andersen <root_at_127.0.0.1>
Date: 1997/10/29

Peter Koch wrote:

> Jan Andersen (root_at_127.0.0.1) wrote:
> : The difference seems to be that (at least on SCO) you use orainst to do
> : theconfiguration, which of course is easy, but on the other hand you
> : don't quite know what happens to your system.
>
> I'm trying to install 7.3.3. orainst does not work, so installing
> the files by hand seems to be the only alternative. There are
> people out there, claiming that with 7.3.2 orainst works just fine.
> Can you confirm this? Is there a difference between 7.3.2-orainst and
> 7.3.3-orainst?

I have heard from some that orainst work OK, even the one from 7.3.3, but others, including me, have big problems with orainst. But I discovered something strange the other day.

I have got a 60 day test license on CDs, and included in the package was a CD with the WebServer(TM) for SCO - it came with a orainst etc, and I just started it (orainst /m). It worked like a charm! Afterwards I tried it

on my copied in server CD - and it seemed to work just as well, though I didn't want to actually install an Oracle and maybe ruin things. So maybe there is an orainst with errors out there?

/jan

- while you're here, why not take a look
at a href="http://www.image.dk/~jan_p_a

If you want to reply to me, my electronic
address is ndjan and the server part of it
is nord-data-detail.dk. Or you can use
jan_p_a with server part = image.dk

This rather 'circumvented' explanation is
meant to avoid automatic spammers that
browse the news groups. I hope it works