Re: Oracle on Linux - a recipe

From: Jan Andersen <root_at_127.0.0.1>
Date: 1997/10/28

Victor Wagner wrote:

> Jan Andersen (root_at_127.0.0.1) wrote:
> : Installing Oracle 7.3.3 on Linux 2.0.29

> : As I stated above, this is just a crude cook book description. It doesn't
> : tell you how to use Oracle when it's installed - maybe I, or someone else
> : will include this later. Oracle's own documentation is quite huge, to say
>
> But its is critical - why would I sacrifice so much memory and disk space
> to Oracle just to run sqlplus shell? Does anybody now, is it possible to
> compile something using OCI libraries under linux. (I can tolerate having
> second copy of all my favorite scripting languange interpreters, compilied
> in COFF or whatever format, if they would interface oracle, although
> I prefer this interfaces to be loadable package for my current interpreters)

I can't see why this shouldn't be possible provided you can use the libs - Ihave no experience with that. My own goal has been to make an Oracle server that I could offer to our local network via SQL*Net - this is what I have described. At some point of time in the future I may want to make OCI programs for Linux, but I can't make any promises. I believe there is a way to do it eg. via Perl, but I don't remember the reference.

/jan

- while you're here, why not take a look
at a href="http://www.image.dk/~jan_p_a

If you want to reply to me, my electronic
address is ndjan and the server part of it
is nord-data-detail.dk. Or you can use
jan_p_a with server part = image.dk

This rather 'circumvented' explanation is
meant to avoid automatic spammers that
browse the news groups. I hope it works