ORA-08103 Object no longer exists

From: John Struse <struse-land_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/10/21

Hi folks;
I am using Oracle 7.3.2.3.0 on an HP Unix platform. Just recently we began to get the above error when doing some selects. We finally traced it to the fact that we had added some indexes to the table in question. We get the error when doing:
select * from products where prod_code = ;NJ12345' and status = 'A';

both columns are indexed on just the one field. When doing an explain plan it shows something like:
equal

   index range scan prod_code_idx
   index range scan status_idx

there are other indexes and if they are used by the optimizer then the error comes up, otherwise if just one index gets used, the select works just fine, although depending on which index it picked it can be slow. I also dropped and recreated the indexes which did not change the problem.
By the way there is no other activity on the system at the time so the data is not being deleted by another as the error manual suggests.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John Struse
(to reply please remove dash in email address) Received on Tue Oct 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT