Re: ORA-08103 Object no longer exists

From: Peter Schneider <pschneider.ctj_at_metronet.de>
Date: 1997/10/23

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997 23:32:06 -0400, John Struse <struse-land_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Hi folks;
>I am using Oracle 7.3.2.3.0 on an HP Unix platform. Just recently we
>began to get the above error when doing some selects. We finally traced
>it to the fact that we had added some indexes to the table in question.
>We get the error when doing:
>select * from products where prod_code = ;NJ12345' and status = 'A';
>
>both columns are indexed on just the one field. When doing an explain
>plan it shows something like:
>equal
> index range scan prod_code_idx
> index range scan status_idx
>
>there are other indexes and if they are used by the optimizer then the
>error comes up, otherwise if just one index gets used, the select works
>just fine, although depending on which index it picked it can be slow.
>I also dropped and recreated the indexes which did not change the
>problem.
>By the way there is no other activity on the system at the time so the
>data is not being deleted by another as the error manual suggests.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks,
>John Struse
>(to reply please remove dash in email address)

Hi John,

We had the same problem two months ago. It is a HP-UX specific bug in Oracle 7.3.2 that causes some kind of index corruption. Anyway, Oracle Support sent us a patch which required to be linked with the server executable, and everything worked fine again. I don't remember the bug/patch number from scratch; if you need it, drop me an email and I'll look for it at work.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Peter Schneider
pschneider.ctj_at_metronet.de Received on Thu Oct 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT