Re: Upgrading an Oracle server to dual processors

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_toneline.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/10/09

David Lord wrote in message <01bcd370$ee3e7600$0ef882c1_at_fmc-systems-5>...
>I am contemplating an upgrade to my Oracle server to try to improve its
>performance.
> Most
>use is via a client-server application using Delphi 1 on the Windows95
>desktops. Our network is unsegmented and is sometimes very congested.
>
>I believe that the major bottleneck is the CPU...

Well, to be honest, your bottleneck is the application and it's associated database, not necessarily the CPU.

Do you have access to the source code? How well is the application written? How well is the database designed? How well is the SQL tuned? Etc., etc., etc.

On average, 70%+ of 'CPU problems' I've seen are down to poor application and/or database design rather than hardware or Oracle SGA config. From what I've read of other people's experiences, this seems to be pretty standard. It might be worth trying to pin your problems down a little more before you jump on the 'It's slow, so we must upgrade the hardware to cope' route. Just a thought...

Steve Phelan. Received on Thu Oct 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT