Re: Upgrading an Oracle server to dual processors

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_p3.net>
Date: 1997/10/08

David,

        Last year I conducted benchmarks using a representative work load against 1,2,3, and 4 processors in a COMPAQ Proliant running Oracle 7.2.x. My benchmarks showed significant performance gains from adding processors. For the particular application set that I benchmarked increasing the number of processors resulted in the greatest performance gain. Given the cost of processors and your current CPU load -- go for it! (If I were you I wouldn't stop at two processors, but I would go directly to four processors.)

        In addition you should consider adding memory since 192MB isn't a whole lot when you are supporting 45 users. Going to 512MB and increasing the size of the SGA will also make a significant difference in performance. Even if you don't increase the size of the SGA check the initialization parameters and tweak where necessary. (Get yourself a copy of O'Reilly & Associates Oracle Performance Tuning by Peter Corrigan and Mark Gurry.)

        Incidentally, as a rule of thumb anytime a resource on a system shows more than 75% utilization performance can be improved by upgrading that resource.

Jerry