Re: Upgrading an Oracle server to dual processors

From: David Lord <lordd_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1997/10/12

Steve Phelan <stevep_at_toneline.demon.co.uk> wrote in article <876387249.29244.0.nnrp-09.c2de712e_at_news.demon.co.uk>...
> Well, to be honest, your bottleneck is the application and it's
 associated
> database, not necessarily the CPU.
>
> Do you have access to the source code? How well is the application
 written?
> How well is the database designed? How well is the SQL tuned? Etc., etc.,
> etc.
>
> On average, 70%+ of 'CPU problems' I've seen are down to poor application
> and/or database design rather than hardware or Oracle SGA config. From
 what
> I've read of other people's experiences, this seems to be pretty
 standard.
> It might be worth trying to pin your problems down a little more before
 you
> jump on the 'It's slow, so we must upgrade the hardware to cope' route.
 Just
> a thought...
>
> Steve Phelan.

Unfortunately, the application is being written by an external software house, so we have no direct access to the (Delphi1) code. We can, of course, look at the database design and the SQL, and [diplomatic mode on] it could be better.

I would agree absolutely that the main problem is the application. However, the poor programmers seem to be having enough trouble getting it to work at all. Improving the performance is scheduled for version 2.0 (or perhaps 3.0...). In the meantime, all we can do is throw hardware at it. When you consider the cost of software development, maybe this is the cheapest option.

Anyway, thanks for your comments

David Lord Received on Sun Oct 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT