Re: Mulitple Applications Using the Same Database/Instance

From: Nathan D. Hughes <nhughes_at_well.com>
Date: 1997/09/16

John Durst <jdurst_at_sky.net> writes:

>Where I work, we currently have a separate database for each
>application.
>There is talk of getting a "super server" and putting all the
>applications
>into a single Oracle instance/database. I am trying to document what
>problems this may cause. Does anyone have any ideas?

Naming standards when doing this ease the pain a lot. We do this type of organization on an NT prod server, and have a mandatory convention of prefixing ALL database segments with a unique application code (2-3 chars). Each application also gets its own data and index ts. If you have hundreds of apps, however, this would not be a wise choice. ;-)

Also think of the possibilities of consolidating data into master tables (customer, parts, emp, etc) - it is difficult to handle when all of a sudden there are 10 emp tables, and 15 plant tables, all for different apps, all with same name.

But multiple apps/1 database definately works - up to a point. Received on Tue Sep 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT