Re: Raw device

From: Robbins, Garry <Garry.Robbins_at_Labatt.com>
Date: 1997/08/08

In article <5s9ffd$f6h_at_news.ml.com>, <lewis_at_hongkong.ml.com> wrote:
>Folks,
>
>1) I have a database running on raw device, is it possible to convert
> the database files to file system without doing a database export
> and then import.

The ORACLE Metalink repository has an article (Solution id 2075496.6) that shows examples of copy a raw device to a file system on an IBM AIX system.

It has a good explanation of the process, but they show:
"
  % dd if=<raw device name> of=<filesystem name> bs=<BlockSize>     skip=<SkipInputBlocks>

  Example:
  % dd if=/dev/rVh09.za.716c1
of=/a/spdevs04/ibmfs/osupport/dismith/test.ctl

    bs=4096 skip=1

  In the above example we specify the blocksize as 4096k and skip 1 block for
  the offset for the Logical Volume Control Block(LVCB)

  bs=BlockSize - Specifies both the input and output block size,   superceding the ibs and obs flags. The block size values specified with
  the bs flag must always be a multiple of the physical block size for the
  media being used.

  skip=SkipInputBlocks - Skips the specified SkipInputBlocks value of   input blocks before starting to copy. ".

The article doesn't say if you can "startup mount", rename the datafiles and run with the file system versions or not.

Let us know please!

--
Garry D. Robbins             |mailto:Garry.Robbins_at_Labatt.Com |Opinions
Database & System Soft. Spec.|WWW:   http://www.labatt.com/   |expressed