Re: Raw device

From: Neil Greene replace dev.null with laoc.SHL.com <ngreene_at_dev.null>
Date: 1997/08/08

[This followup was posted to comp.databases.oracle.server and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

lewis_at_hongkong.ml.com wrote....
> Folks,
>
> 1) I have a database running on raw device, is it possible to convert
> the database files to file system without doing a database export
> and then import.

There is no difference between a raw file system and a unix file system. With the exception of the small fact there is no file system. You do the same thing to move the file from a raw partition as if you were to move the file that was already located on a unix file system.

  1. Take the tablespace offline
  2. dd the raw partition to a file % dd if=/dev/vx/rdsk/raw_partition_name of=/foo/filename.dbf
  3. Rename the datafile in Oracle
  4. Bring the tablespace back on line.

> 2) For oracle 7.3, it is possible to resize a datafile in a file system.
> However, what is the syntax of resizing a raw device file ?

You can not resize a raw partition.

--
Neil Greene			Senior System Engineer / Oracle DBA
MCI Systemhouse, Inc.

Email:		<mailto:ngreene_at_laoc.SHL.com>
Pager Email:	4112636_at_PageMCI.com		Pager:	800-411-2636