Re: Raw device

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/08/07

In article <5s9ffd$f6h_at_news.ml.com>, <lewis_at_hongkong.ml.com> wrote:
>Folks,
>
>1) I have a database running on raw device, is it possible to convert
> the database files to file system without doing a database export
> and then import.

Really interesting question. I have never tried it but there MIGHT be a way if you do not directly access the raw device. Many people who use raw devices have a directory of symbolic links that actually point to the raw devices. Oracle uses the names in that directory. If you have done this then you can try to dd the data from the raw device to the file system and then change the link. You can try to dd the amount of data that Oracle thinks it has or the amount that the OS thinks it has (if they are different).

Caveats:

Always backup you database before trying anything this foolish. Keep the raw data so that you can go back if necessary.

If you get this to work let us know.

mjr Received on Thu Aug 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT