Re: Backup software for Oracle, NT, and Exchange

From: Marco Foss <mfoss_at_sio.uio.no>
Date: 1997/08/02

In article <33d79707.12248841_at_nntp2.ba.best.com>, jwu_at_ezaccess.com says...

> Hi! I was wondering if anyone would care to share their opnions on a
> good backup package to use for backing up Oracle, NT, and Exchange.
> We're currently using Backup Exec, but I'm a bit disappointed with
> their tape management capabilities and file database. On the bright
> side, it works reliably, which is the number one concern with backups.
> We also have ARCserve. Maybe we're doing something wrong with it, but
> it doesn't seem to be all that reliable on restores.

We went into production way to fast, just installed Arcserve with it's Oracle DB agent and just did some file restore tests. Now that we've got the time, we are about to schedule some realistic restore test, both on OS and Oracle. I'm a bit worried about this, as I've seen some weired things happen with our backup/OS software: We cannot use the DB agent to backup the archive logs; the Arcserve processes hang and utilizes +50% of the CPUs. Cannot kill jobs, delete jobs, or kill Arcserve, a reboot is the only way out. So, we just use normal filebackup to backup archive logs, but recently I discovered that Arcserve does not backup one of the archive directories, and the logs doesn't say anything about this. Recreating this directory didn't help, so copying the files to another directory is the temp. workaround.

I do not trust the backups yet, so, needless to say, I'm going to schedule my tests just before the weekend. I'm wondering if some of you might share any good or bad experiences with Arcserve / Oracle / NT. (Arcserve 6 w/SP3, OraDB agent, NT4 SP3, Oracle 7.3.2.2.0)

Any other advice on these matters will also be appreciated.

Marco Received on Sat Aug 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT