Re: Backup software for Oracle, NT, and Exchange

From: Christopher Hodges <chodges_at_is.ge.com>
Date: 1997/08/05

Marco Foss wrote:

> In article <33d79707.12248841_at_nntp2.ba.best.com>, jwu_at_ezaccess.com
> says...
> >
> > Hi! I was wondering if anyone would care to share their opnions on a

> > good backup package to use for backing up Oracle, NT, and Exchange.
> > We're currently using Backup Exec, but I'm a bit disappointed with
> > their tape management capabilities and file database. On the bright

> > side, it works reliably, which is the number one concern with
 backups.
> > We also have ARCserve. Maybe we're doing something wrong with it,
 but
> > it doesn't seem to be all that reliable on restores.

We have been using NetBackup from Veritas (used to be OpenVision Software). They have a good package to do hot backups of Oracle and Sybase in Unix. It uses enhanced Gnu tar, so you don't need NetBackup to restore in an emergency. I don't know when their Oracle/NT backup capability will be available, but they are already good at NT filesystem and registry backups ... --

Christopher Hodges (chris.hodges_at_geis.ge.com) GE Information Services, Rockville, MD USA Voc: 301-340-4301 or 8*273-4301; Fax: 301-340-5094 Received on Tue Aug 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT