Re: Here is a way to crash Solaris using ping!

From: miSOFT Engineer <goaway_at_getbent.eng>
Date: 1997/07/23

Chris Raymond wrote:

> I seem to remember hearing a rumor that Sun has issued a kernel
> patch for this problem. What is the patchID?
>
> Chris Raymond

The patch ID for the ping problem is 103169-12. While this fixes the ping problem it doesn't fix the bigger problem I have with users on a machine....they keep toggling power on their system when the slightest delay occurs. their suggestion is that there should be a ctrl-alt-del keystroke to clear up problems[1]. I've tried to tell them the problem isn't the computer it's them, but they won't listen[2].

I have managed to cut back on some of the problems by getting a Louisville Slugger and carving the words "Ctrl-Alt-Del" into it. It is now my "rebooting" device[3]. I've told my users I will use the "rebooting" device on whatever is causing the problem--be it them or the computer.

Mike

[1] Thanks Mr. Gates, for convincing the world a reboot is SOP. I don't dare mention L1-A.

[2] They never do.
[3] Yes, my LART.[4]
[4] What's a LART? If you don't know you shouldn't be asking....
--
***use my first name at "misoft.com" for replies***
Mike Couvillion, Sun Enterprise Systems Engineer         O-