Re: Here is a way to crash Solaris using ping!

From: Bryan Althaus <bryan_at_panix.com>
Date: 1997/07/23

miSOFT Engineer (goaway_at_getbent.eng) wrote:
: Chris Raymond wrote:
: >
: > I seem to remember hearing a rumor that Sun has issued a kernel
: > patch for this problem. What is the patchID?
: >
: > Chris Raymond
:
: The patch ID for the ping problem is 103169-12. While this fixes the
: ping problem it doesn't fix the bigger problem I have with users on a
: machine....they keep toggling power on their system when the slightest
: delay occurs. their suggestion is that there should be a ctrl-alt-del
: keystroke to clear up problems[1]. I've tried to tell them the problem
: isn't the computer it's them, but they won't listen[2].
:
: I have managed to cut back on some of the problems by getting a
: Louisville Slugger and carving the words "Ctrl-Alt-Del" into it. It is
: now my "rebooting" device[3]. I've told my users I will use the
: "rebooting" device on whatever is causing the problem--be it them or the
: computer.
:
: Mike

Reminds me of last year while I was away from my Sparc at lunch, I happened to be telnet'd into another machine in an xterm. The Sys admin brings down machine I'm telnet'd to for some stupid reason (joke?) sends a 5 minute shutdown message with ton of ^g's (bells) to annoy everyone to get off the machine. Of course my machine is making alot of noise, and the PC guy next to me gets annoyed and comes over and powers off my box to stop the noise.

Except for the fact this is not a PC, it a Sparc 20 Solaris box which just happens to be our NIS+ server, NFS server, and license manage server. You had to see the faces on the managers when the guy explained about the noise and how it was annoying him so he just turned the machine off. :)

:
: [1] Thanks Mr. Gates, for convincing the world a reboot is SOP. I don't
: dare mention L1-A.
: [2] They never do.
: [3] Yes, my LART.[4]
: [4] What's a LART? If you don't know you shouldn't be asking....
: --