Re: Here is a way to crash Solaris using ping!

From: Achim Gratz <gratz_at_ite.inf.tu-dresden.de>
Date: 1997/07/24

miSOFT Engineer <goaway_at_getbent.eng> writes:

> The patch ID for the ping problem is 103169-12. While this fixes the
> ping problem it doesn't fix the bigger problem I have with users on a
> machine....they keep toggling power on their system when the slightest
> delay occurs.

Set up a boot password so the machine won't reboot automatically and let them hang there indefinately. Once they find power toggling takes longer than the problem they're trying to solve with it, they might stop doing it.

BOFH: Tell them their problems get fixed much faster by unfolding a metal paper clip and using it to probe the power supply, preferably in the area where the big round things are located, while they are holding onto the metal parts of the case with the other hand to fend of static buildup.

Achim Gratz.

--+<[ It's the small pleasures that make life so miserable. ]>+-- WWW: http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~ag7/{english/} E-Mail: gratz_at_ite.inf.tu-dresden.de
Phone: +49 351 463 - 8325 Received on Thu Jul 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT