Re: Best disk layout for >50Gbytes databases?

From: John E. Leon Guerrero <jguerrer_at_infogration.com>
Date: 1997/06/05

On Wed, 04 Jun 1997 15:34:22 GMT, squinn_at_netcomuk.co.uk (Simon Quinn) wrote:
<snip>
>The database will be heavily write intensive and will not have many
>users. RAID-5 has been considered but this seems to be a bad idea for
>this type of database.

 <snip>
>Other questions are about the redo-logs, should these be striped or is
>it best just to write to one disk at a time?
<snip>

If I remember correctly, RAID-5 has poor write performance by nature. It is best to use full mirroring if you can afford it.

There are other overriding layout concerns than #of disks to stripe over unless disk budget is not an issue. That said, I've used anywhere from 3-5-10 disks in a stripe depending on those other circumstances.

Since your db is write intensive, use many small, fast disks with no striping for the redo logs. And don't forget your archive destination if you're in archivelog mode.

jlg

--
John E. Leon Guerrero <jguerrer_at_infogration.com>
Oracle DBA Consultant