Re: Best disk layout for >50Gbytes databases?

From: Phil Herring <revdoc_at_uow.edu.au>
Date: 1997/06/05

In article <339a8912.26506703_at_news.netcomuk.co.uk> Simon Quinn, squinn_at_netcomuk.co.uk writes:
>The database will be heavily write intensive and will not have many
>users. RAID-5 has been considered but this seems to be a bad idea for
>this type of database.

RAID5 will be slowest. You'd be better off with mirroring, possibly with striping, but bear in mind that stripe size will have an impact on performance.

>Other questions are about the redo-logs, should these be striped or is
>it best just to write to one disk at a time?

Redo logs are always written and read sequentially, and are rarely read, in any case, so one disk will be fine. However, I'd mirror them if I were you, because if you lose you redo logs, you system stops.

Copyright 1997 Phil Herring. This article may not be reproduced for profit.