raw data fields

From: Michael J. Linsner <linsner_at_mced.kodak.com>
Date: 1997/05/28

I'm trying to figure out how to use raw data fields. As a test, I've tried to insert the bell control character (^G) or ascii 007 into a table with a raw field. Then I'd like to select it and hear the bell sound.

When I use the following insert, I get error ora-1465 - invalid hex number.

        insert into xxx values ('^G');

The ^G was obtained by typing cntrl-v and cntrl-g.

If is use

        insert into xxx values (rawtohex('^G'))

It inserts without error; however, when I select it, I get "07" returned, but no bell sound.

Any suggestions would be appreciated? Please respond to linsner_at_kodak.com. Thanks. Received on Wed May 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT